Zentyal development team is proud to announce the release of Zentyal 3.2, a major new release of the Zentyal Linux small business server. Zentyal Server is the open source alternative to Windows Small Business Server, including a native replacement to Active Directory.
Among all the changes Zentyal 3.2 introduces, we would like to put the focus on:
- New base distribution: Ubuntu 12.04.03 Long Term Support, featuring a new Linux 3.8 kernel and providing the last updates for all the packages and services managed by Zentyal
- Unified style and usability across the GUI, featuring Drag and Drop support to move table rows, Single Click support to enable modules and their dependencies all together and icons!
- Integration of the latest Samba 4.1 release
- Completely new Users and Computers interface based on a Tree view, including support for multiple Organizational Units for some of the modules (Samba, Proxy, Mail, Zarafa)
- New mode that allows to authenticate against an external Active Directory server
- Initial GPO support for login/logout scripts (to be extended in next releases!)
- New IPS module
- L2TP support in the IPsec module
- Faster Zentyal administration interface!
- New headless (remote administration only) installation in the expert mode
- Faster boot due to better management of daemons
Upgrading from an existing Zentyal 3.0 installation and migrating configuration is very easy and only require the following commands to be executed:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo sed -ri 's/zentyal(.)3.0/zentyal\13.2/g' /etc/apt/sources.list sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Once the upgrade process completes, don’t forget to force the reload of Zentyal interface in your browser as it may have cached the previous styles from Zentyal 3.0.
For those who are already using Zentyal 3.1, you just need to do:
sudo sed -ri 's/zentyal(.)3.1/zentyal\13.2/g' /etc/apt/sources.list sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The migration from Zentyal 3.1 has been tested with RC1 and RC2, therefore is expected to work properly. We can not however guarantee similar outcomes with older beta version.
- If you are using custom hooks or stubs, you shall review that they are still valid under Zentyal 3.2. In particular, if you are using custom stubs, note that the original templates are likely to have changed. Review the new templates and check that they match your customized versions (for information about custom hooks and templates.
- The upgrade process may trigger some long processes (in particular, log tables have changed and need to be transformed). Please be patient especially if you have large amount of data in your logging tables.
- Do not keep a master-slave environment using different Zentyal versions (3.0-3.2). At this time, if you are upgrading such an environment, it is necessary that hosts are isolated for upgrading until all hosts have been upgraded (ie shutting down all hosts and upgrading them sequentially).
It is highly recommended to perform a reboot after server upgrade.
Here are the APT source entries for Zentyal 3.2:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/3.2/ubuntu precise main deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 3.2 main extra
Full Change Log
You can read the full change log from 3.0 to 3.2 here.
Zentyal designs and develops IT solutions for small and medium businesses since 2004. The company provides SMBs and their local IT providers all-in-one IT solutions that are easy to use, from the server to the cloud. Zentyal-based solutions allow SMBs to reduce and rationalize IT investments, improve the security and minimize system downtime.
Zentyal-based solutions are widely used by small and medium businesses independently of their activity or location, as well as by public administration or the education sector. The partnership agreements signed with IT support and service providers in more than 20 countries guarantee the distribution of Zentyal-based solutions to customers worldwide.