Zentyal Development Team is proud to announce Zentyal Server 5.0, a new release of the Zentyal Open Source Linux small business server with Active Directory interoperability.
Zentyal Server 5.0 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial) and comes with the latest versions of all the integrated software. New features and improvements include:
- Samba 4.5.1:
- Latest released version of Samba directly from upstream, without any custom patch by Zentyal.
- Comes with all the fixes in the Samba project since Samba 4.3, which are many, specially on the replication code.
- The Zentyal integration code has been rewritten to no longer need the custom patches, this will result in more stability and maintainability, getting newer versions quicker.
- NSS/PAM is now managed with winbind instead of sssd, which is the recommended way.
- SOGo 3.2.1:
- New UI using modern web technologies with improved look&feel, visual effects and usability.
- Lots of fixes and improvements on ActiveSync implementation.
- New HTTP Proxy module
- Daemon management uses systemd instead of upstart.
Full list of supported features available at http://www.zentyal.org/server/#server-features
To migrate from Zentyal 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 to 5.0, you only need to upgrade your 4.X installation to the last available packages once they are released and a button will appear on the dashboard.
- Pay special attention to the list of features that have been removed in this version, if you depend on any of them, skip this upgrade.
Here is the APT source entry for Zentyal 5.0:
deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0 main extra
Full Change Log
You can read the full change log from 4.2 to 5.0 here.
Zentyal designs and develops the Zentyal Linux Small Business Server since 2004. Zentyal Server incorporates all the network services required in a small and medium business environment, most importantly the first-ever native Microsoft Active Directory® implementation on Linux that is easy to use.
With Zentyal Server there is no need to use command line, but system administrators can manage all the network services via graphical user interface. Zentyal-based solutions allow SMBs to reduce and rationalize IT investments, improve the security and minimize system downtime.
Zentyal Linux Small Business Server is widely used by small and medium businesses independently of their activity or location, as well as by public administration or the education sector. The partnership agreements signed with IT support and service providers in more than 20 countries guarantee the distribution of Zentyal-based solutions to customers worldwide.