Zentyal Development Team is proud to announce Zentyal Server 4.0, a new release of the Zentyal Open Source Linux small business server with native Microsoft® Exchange protocol implementation and Active Directory interoperability.
Zentyal Server 4.0 comes with improved mail and mail-related directory features. It is based on the latest Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Trusty). New features and improvements include:
- Improved provisioning of Zentyal as first Microsoft® Exchange Server
- Improved PST import
- Improved support for RPC over HTTP (Microsoft Outlook® Anywhere)
- Improved Autodiscover service
- Improved support for multiple virtual mail domains
- Improved support for Microsoft Outlook® 2007, 2010
- Improved support for shared calendars & contacts
- Improved multi-language support for mailboxes
- Improved Out of office-message support
- Initial support for Microsoft Outlook® 2013
- Improved QA processes, tools and incident follow up method
- Smooth migration path from Zentyal Server 3.5 to 4.0
- Restructuring and improvement of the L2TP module
- Free Cloud Configuration Backup directly from the Zentyal Server UI
In addition, the Zentyal Development Team had to remove a number of modules in order to focus on Zentyal Server’s goal: Offer a complete and easy-to-use Small Business Server, with native support for mixed IT environments. The dropped modules are: IPS, UPS management, Backup, Monitor, RADIUS, Webserver, Roudcube Webmail (replaced by SOGo Webmail) and IPsec (replaced by a new module supporting only L2TP). Also the Free Zentyal Account will be discontinued. Documentation on configuring most of these services with specific software is provided here.
To migrate from Zentyal 3.5 to 4.0, you only need to upgrade your 3.5 installation to the last available packages and a button will appear on the dashboard.
- If you are accessing the Zentyal administration interface via port 443, the upgrade process will change it to 8443, as 443 is reserved in Zentyal 4.0.
- If you had an outgoing mail domain that didn’t match your Samba domain, please read Migrating_Virtual_mail_domains_to_4.0.
- If you had the openchange service enabled, you may need to reload the administration webpage and accept the new certificate after upgrading.
- Automatic migration path from the latest commercial version (Zentyal Server 3.2 SP2) will be provided as well. The migration process will be made available in a few weeks in order to consolidate the scenario.
Here is the APT source entry for Zentyal 4.0:
deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 4.0 main extra
Full Change Log
You can read the full change log from 3.5 to 4.0 here.
Zentyal is the only vendor worldwide to offer server technology that is natively interoperable with both Microsoft Active Directory® and Microsoft® Exchange Server protocols.
Microsoft, Windows and Microsoft Outlook are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.